Monday, July 16, 2007

What I've been up to:

  • Concocting my first-ever batch of ratatouille. (Yes, inspired by the film.) I'm happy to report that every major ingredient came from my Saturday morning trip to the North Market, and the Silver Palate Cookbook has an excellent recipe.
  • Making Key Lime Bars. They're beyond delicious, and positively addictive. Recipe from America's Test Kitchen. (The Cook's Illustrated folks.)
  • Enjoying my companion's famous jerk chicken with mango-avocado salsa, accompanied by grilled plantains.
  • Marinating chicken Marbella for tomorrow night's dinner. A Silver Palate classic. The Chicago Tribune features the recipe and many other SP favorites here.
  • Hoping my North Market peaches aren't yet overripe. I'd like to make this Texas Peach Cobbler. From Cooking Light. I bought a new serrated peeler from North Market Cookware and I can't wait to try it out.
  • Sipping viognier. My new favorite summer white.
  • Preparing mushroom ragout (served over pasta). Recipe from The Joy of Cooking. Its comprehensive index comes in handy when you're trying to figure out what to do with your farmers' market surplus. Mushrooms from Toby Run farm, via the North Market.
  • Brainstorming what kind of fun food/drink item to bring to my in-laws this weekend. They've got four school-age kids. Any suggestions, dear readers?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee! Did you ever have my "hamburgers"? Made from Vanilla Wafers and York Peppermint Patties? You make the ketchup/mustard as icing with food coloring. The lettuce is dyed green coconut, and assemble (the icing keeps it all together). Then, you egg wash the tops, and sprinkle sesame seeds. I can't say they taste wonderful (they taste like you'd imagine), but they're always a hit - and kids would like them.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home