Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Food for the Soul

Usually I'd post some Wednesday food news links today, but food news was a little thin this week. Perhaps it's because we're still in between seasons here in the Midwest, with cauliflower and squash nearly behind us, and asparagus, fava beans and fiddlehead ferns just around the corner. Instead, I thought I'd post a little food for the soul today from a book I recently started re-reading: My Life with the Saints, by Fr. James Martin SJ.

Here's some food for thought:

For me to be a saint means to be myself. Therefore the problem of sanctity and salvation is in fact the problem of finding out who I am and of discovering my true self.

~Thomas Merton, New Seeds of Contemplation

I am quite happy to be called an optimist, but my optimism is not of the utopian variety. It is based on hope. What is an optimist? I can answer for myself in a very simple fashion: He or she is a person who has the conviction that God knows, can do, and will do what is best for [human]kind.

~Pedro Arrupe, SJ, One Jesuit's Spiritual Journey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home