Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Help me, dear readers...

...and I'll help you in return! I'm working on a magazine story tentatively titled "How to Throw a Great Dinner Party," which will be published just in time to kick off of the holiday entertaining season. I'm interviewing experts on everything from wine to music to food, as well as some fun people who entertain frequently. Here's my question for you: What would help you feel more confident planning a dinner party? Are you clueless about champagne? Worried about wine? Mystified by menu planning? Dreading cleaning your bathroom? (Sorry, can't help you there.) But seriously, I'd love to hear what you'd be interested in reading about in an article on dinner parties. I am at your service, and I'll mail a copy of the article to anyone who offers a suggestion.

7 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

I'm always trying to get everything done at just the right time -- so that things aren't cold when the guests arrive, but also so that I'm not slaving in the kitchen and not enjoying the company. So I'd like to see some tips on timing preparations -- how to get the most done ahead of time so all you have to do is pop things in the oven/on the stove when your guests arrive!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Don't worry, Mud. Help is on the way!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll echo that request!

I'm not worried about wine cause my friends are just as clueless!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sequencing the copmpletion of foods is a big issue.

Popster at 3rd street catering

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hints from an 'old cook'. Get as much done ahead of time as you can...set the table the night before...candles too, make sauces ahead of time, butter/brush olive oil on slided bread and wrap in foil to place in oven later,get all necessary wine glasses, napkins etc.
Think about what takes the longest to cook and get that started first.
crosswindcook

10:55 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I guess I echo your other commenters: timing. If I'm having people on Saturday night, what should I be doing on Thursday? And how much of Saturday do I need to block off to cook everything?

And maybe one "wow" dish that people will remember, with everything else being easy.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

If it's not too late for you...

How can you plan food and wine parings? Do you set the menu first then choose wines or would you choose the type of wines and then set the menu?

What if you don't have any nice linens and china? Can I rent those items?

Those are one I can think of off the top of my head. Most of my friends think pork roast and mashed potatoes are the height of fine dining.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home