Friday, September 01, 2006

Game Day Guac


I can't stop thinking about college football season, specifically, tomorrow's Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech matchup. (Today I've been fighting the temptation to just hang out on NDNation all day, clicking "refresh" every 60 seconds.) I love this time of year, when football fans are so rah-rah, excitable, and the early September air is filled with the promise of the unknown.

I just finished up a really interesting story for the October issue of Columbus Monthly, (Columbusites, keep an eye out), so I'm cutting myself a little bit of slack this afternoon, which has given me a little time to think about GAME DAY FOOD! I thought I'd share one of my favorite game watch concoctions: Avocado-Roasted Corn Guacamole. Not only is it a crowd pleaser, it allows you to use some of the fresh sweet corn and tomatoes that are so plentiful at Midwest farmers' markets right now.

Have a great three-day weekend everyone, and GO IRISH!


Avocado-Roasted Corn Guacamole

I like to serve this with blue corn chips because all the colors look fabulous together.

Ingredients:
1 c. frozen/canned corn kernels
3 T. corn oil
2 large avocados, cut into ½ in. dice
1 large tomato, cut into ½ in. dice
¼ c. chopped cilantro
2 T. minced red onion
1 t. minced jalapeno
1 t. minced garlic
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 ½ t. kosher salt
¼ t. cumin

Directions:
1)Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss the corn with 1 T. of the oil. Roast, tossing often, for 7-8 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then transfer to medium bowl.

2)Fold in avocado, tomato, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir in the lime juice, vinegar, coarse salt, cumin, and 2 more T. of corn oil. Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.

3)Serve with tortilla chips.

1 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

This all sounds good except the cumin...for some reason, I hate cumin! Well, hate is a strong word, but anyway...I love avocados!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home