Thursday, August 03, 2006

Gratitude for Summer's Foods

For many years now, I've concluded my days by composing a small gratitude list in my journal: a short record of three to five of the day's blessings. This list has included everything from the robins and rabbits in our yard to plum writing assignments to time with my family. With farmers' market overflowing with so many fabulous fruits and vegetables this time of year, I feel like it's appropriate to compose a gratitude list for some of this week's fresh finds:

  • Weekday farmers' markets: A treat if you're always traveling on weekends (as I do during the summer) and can't get to the Saturday markets. My personal favorite: the Tuesday/Friday Pearl Alley Farmers' Market in downtown Columbus. If you work near downtown you can shop on your lunch hour.
  • Peaches: Try this peach salsa recipe from Columbus Dispatch food editor Robin Davis.
  • Blueberries: Bake these late-summer indigo treasures into blueberry muffins!
  • Blackberries: Eat out of hand. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

1 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

The bad thing about the ice cream article while snacking on peanuts is just that...you are snacking on peanuts while reading about mouth watering ice cream concoctions! My favorite iced treat choc. choc. chip ice cream topped with a mix of PB and Marshmallow + chocolate sprinkles. OH YEAH!

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home