Monday, May 08, 2006

Weekend Recap


This weekend was a foodie's dream, and my bro was the perfect Detroit tour guide, showing us all Rock City has to offer. We sipped margaritas in Mexicantown (which was hoppin' due to Cinco de Mayo celebrations) and enjoyed soul food at Slow's Bar-B Q in the slowly-revitalizing Corktown area. I highly recommend the fabulous frittatas at (where else?) Frittata in Clawson. Mine included wild mushrooms, gruyere and savory pancetta, and my mom ordered a Jamaican jerk version complete with mango salsa!

We had a fabulous time at the Eastern market, and I bought all kinds of flowers. I also picked up some Michigan honey, ruby-red stalks of rhubarb, a giant bag of fresh, earthy mushrooms (which we used to top a homemade pizza tonight) some curry from Rafal Spice Company, and cinnamon-caramel coffee, which makes one of the best morning cups of coffee I've ever tasted. I brewed a pot at my bro's place on Sunday morning, and he asked me: "Are you leaving this coffee here?"

I also bought a ton of herbs, which I planted tonight: basil, flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, dill, thyme and some nasturtium (edible flowers!).

A couple of interesting food-related news-y notes:
  • Read this NYT article about the cookbook series that's outselling all the cookbooks by Ina Garten, Giada De Laurentiis and Jamie Oliver combined. Prepare to be surprised!
  • Entertainment Weekly's "Must List" this week highlights spatulatta.com, a nifty kids' kitchen guide that was nominated for a 2006 James Beard award.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home