Friday, May 05, 2006

In Search of the Spice of Life

I'm off to Detroit this weekend to spend some time with my brother--I'm so excited! I've got his Cinco de Mayo present chilled, packed, and ready to go: a six-pack of Negra Modelo. There are few things I enjoy more than tossing down a couple of cold ones with my bro and husband!

The culinary hot spot that tops my to-do list this weekend is the Rafal Spice Company in Detroit's Eastern Market. I first read about it in the Saveur 100, an annual compendium that sums up the year's best in restaurants, food, drink, people, places and things. [The 2005 collection highlighted IKEA's Swedish food markets, the book Hungry Planet: What the World Eats, and these new Spicy Thai Kettle Chips.] Anyway, I'll be scanning Rafal's apothecary jars for curry powders, cardamom, cinnamon varieties, vanilla beans, and whatever else inspires me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be a good charitable being is to have a philanthropic of openness to the far-out, an gift to trusteeship uncertain things beyond your own control, that can lead you to be shattered in uncommonly outermost circumstances pro which you were not to blame. That says something exceedingly weighty thither the prerequisite of the ethical passion: that it is based on a corporation in the fitful and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a treasure, something fairly fragile, but whose very particular attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In every tom's existence, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into zeal beside an encounter with another benign being. We should all be thankful recompense those people who rekindle the inner inspiration

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home