Monday, May 15, 2006

An Update, Long Overdue

Shame on me for taking so long to update! My heartfelt apologies to my five loyal readers. With all that's been going on lately, there simply hasn't been much time for epicurean pursuits, although herb-planting has begun in earnest! Cilantro, flat-leaf parsley, dill, basil, oregano, garlic chives, and thyme are in. I love being able to step outside the kitchen and snip off whatever I need, as opposed to picking up one of those clear plastic packets of six-hours-from-moldy herbs from the grocery store.

I'm working on a pretty labor-intensive story for Columbus Monthly right now, which has required some serious pounding the pavement all over central Ohio. I can't say much about the topic right now, except that I think it's going to be fabulous (God willing!), and it will run in the August issue--the same month that my Southwest Airlines cover story will appear. More on that later!

Some other things that have transpired since I last wrote:
  • Book manuscript is IN, after a time-consuming fiasco (my fault) that I really don't care to relive by recounting it here.
  • I've read a few wonderful books lately: Patrick Hannon's Running into the Arms of God, Fresh Air book critic Maureen Corrigan's Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading, and, of course, Giada's new cookbook: Giada's Family Dinners!
  • I made the trip home to see my elders in honor of Mother's Day weekend, and as always, the visit was festive and fun, and I got to try pappadams (wafer-thin Indian breads made with lentil flour) for the first time. I also paid a visit to the Indiana State Prison yesterday, a Level 4 facility in Michigan City. (Again, it was for a story, so I can't say much about it now.)
  • I have purchased two tickets to see The Da Vinci Code on opening night at the Arena Grand. Can't wait!

2 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

I can't believe you've never tried papadams before! They are especially awesome with mango chutney or tamarind sauce, but then again, what isn't made better with mangos?

10:10 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Congrats on finishing your book! And I didn't realize your Southwest Airlines story was a cover (on ice cream?) Sounds like you've got lots of great projects on your plate. Glad you still find time for us!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home