Monday, September 24, 2007

Lunch with Julee

I've neglected my blog as of late--I've been too busy eating and cooking! (And um, working.) One of the more fun things I did last week was to attend the Thurber House lunch and book signing with Julee Rosso, co-author of The Silver Palate Cookbook. I had once interviewed her by phone, but had never seen her up close and personal. The whole event, held at the Columbus Museum of Art, had a very ladies-who-lunch vibe, and my friend Claudia and I were the youngest ones there by several years. No matter. We had a great time. Since Claudia's a very talented photographer, I asked her to take the photo of the delectable plate of desserts at our table.

Our chicken salad and lemon soup were prepared using Silver Palate recipes, which made the meal even more special. Julee's remark's were fun and spontaneous, and I loved hearing her story about how her life's work unfolded in unexpected ways. "Everything was done upside-down and backwards before we got it right," she said.

As one might expect, she preached the gospel of seasonal and local produce. "Our new rock stars are going to be our local farmers," she said.

After lunch I got to catch up with Dispatch food editor Robin Davis. I've always admired her work, and she was the first editor to invite me to write a food article for publication. (After I wrote her, e-mailed her, called her, and called her again, that is. For a beginning writer, persistence is key. ) I haven't done any food stories for the 'spatch since beginning my job as an editor at the Big Company, but I hope to sometime again soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

How funny. I have a signed "New Basics" that I got signed over 15 years ago!

Hope your job is going well. Sounds busy.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to hear others say that other life doesn't always unfold in a neat fashion....love the picture.
riri

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home