Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Berry Aftermath


Well, two days after the luscious-strawberry-picking euphoria has worn off, I'm faced with the reality that my companion and me have twenty pounds of strawberries on our hands. Ten pounds have been converted into jam, yes, but what to do with the remaining ten pounds of loose berries is another matter. Sure, I've sprinkled them on my frosted mini-wheats and eaten little bowls of berries as healthy snacks, but I realized last night that I needed to swing into action. Strawberries have a short shelf life, and so something needed to be done. I descended into the black hole that is our basement and brought the ice cream maker upstairs. Ice-cream making is not something that can be done capriciously, as the inner canister in standard ice cream makers needs to be frozen overnight beforehand. A little planning ahead, and voila! We had homemade strawberry ice cream tonight after dinner--little dishes of sweet and creamy goodness. I used this ice cream recipe from last summer's Bon Appetit magazine, which was meant to be used as filling for some triple-chocolate cookie and strawberry ice cream sandwiches. I certainly would have undertaken that whole project if I had had more time! Now, I've got to think of something else for tomorrow!

2 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

I'm thinking home-made strawberry shortcake? With Becca & her boy visiting us this weekend, I'm going to whip some up!

Will there be JAM at the lake...???

12:06 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Of COURSE there will be JAM at the lake, in addition to a secret treat I'm making that will incorporate jam!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home