Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mmm...bison chili

When I was shopping at North Market Poultry and Game recently, one of the salespeople encouraged me to try a one-pound package of ground bison meat along with the chicken I was purchasing. I politely declined, but the suggestion intrigued me enough to come back for some the following Saturday.

As it turns out, bison contains less fat than the white meat of chicken. It’s also low in calories and cholesterol, and high in protein. Added bonus: The bison is raised without hormones or chemicals at Red Run Bison & Horse Farm, about 100 miles northeast of Columbus.

I’m happy to report that bison meat, when substituted for ground beef or even ground turkey, makes for excellent chili. I used this recipe for cherry peach pumpkin chili. (Yes, you read that right.) The recipe calls for one jar each of Cherry Peach Salsa and Pumpkin Chipotle Roasting Sauce from American Spoon—a scrumptious line of salsas, chutneys, jams and grilling sauces made in my home state.

I highly encourage Columbusites to give it a try. And a big “grazie” to the nice man in the hairnet behind the counter. That was a great tip, and I’ll be back for more soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

We were into the buffalo burgers from Trader Joe's this summer. They were good and cooked up really fast!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home