Monday, December 11, 2006

A Holiday Appetizer Idea

If you're looking for an easy, healthy holiday appetizer, look no further than these smoked salmon crostinis. (Lauren, this is for you!) I made these for our Christmas party this past weekend and they were a huge hit, as they are every year. I'll be back tomorrow with one more delicious, make-ahead (and even health conscious) appetizer.

Smoked Salmon Crostini

Adapted from Cooking Light, December 2004

My suggestions: Buy your smoked salmon at Trader Joe's to keep this recipe affordable. Make the topping several hours ahead of time and assemble the appetizer right before you head out the door. (Or just put the topping in a bowl, arrange the baguette slices around it, and people can assemble their own.)

Ingredients
1/2 c. chopped fennel bulb
1/4 c. chopped scallions
1 T. olive oil
2 t. chopped fresh dill
1 t. grated lemon rind
1 1/2 T. lemon juice
1 t. black pepper
3/4 lb. cold-smoked salmon, cut into strips
1 baguette, sliced
1/2 c. light garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese (like Alouette or Boursin-in the specialty cheese section of grocery stores)
Preparation
Combine first 8 ingredients; cover and chill for at least one hour. Spread each baguette with 1/2 t. cheese; top each with 1 T. salmon mixture. Garnish with fresh dill sprigs, if desired. Makes ~15 servings, depending on size of baguette.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Renee-
You're my hero(ine)!!

I'll be eagerly awaiting tomorrow's suggestion and then I'm off to the grocery store...

L

P.S. No Trader Joe's here :( Makes me miss California!

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about those cheesecake pops? They were FANTASTIC!!!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made these and they turned out wonderfully! Thank you!! Bernie especially liked them and has been busy snarfing the leftovers all weekend.

I also made some parmesan-prosciutto crostinis- I found the recipe online at cooking light. I like their recipe search feature.

L

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home