Thursday, November 02, 2006

Joy of Cooking, v. 3.0

A new, 75th-anniversary edition of the culinary classic Joy of Cooking has just been released, and the food world has been aflutter with commentary and reviews. This cookbook has a fascinating history! (Not exactly free of drama and pathos.) I had no idea, as I'd never been a Joy user until recently. (And Ethan Becker, the inheritor of the Rombauer-Becker Joy legacy, lives in Cincinnati.) A couple of weeks ago I picked up a discounted copy at The Book Loft in German Village, as my friend and colleague Tami of Woodhaven Farm fame tells me it's a cook's bible!

Some perspectives:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that in the bookstore this weekend and it made me think of you. Maybe I should buy one too!

- mud

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received one as a gift, and returned it - gasp! Since I already have "How to Cook Everything", I figured, I didn't need "How to Cook Everything two different ways" :)

Plus, it didn't have overnight waffles - shame!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Em, one of the articles I read said that great books like "How to Cook Everything" make "Joy" less of a must-have because they're so similar!

No overnight waffles? The nerve!

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home