Friday, July 14, 2006

Food Fit for the Gods



In Greece, I looked forward to our hotel breakfast each morning for one reason: Greek yogurt drizzled with Naxos honey. Unlike much of the yogurt we eat in the U.S., it's not at all sweet, it's unprocessed, and it's made from sheep and goat's milk. It was so thick and creamy and smooth, especially blended with the honey provided by bees and beekeepers on the very island where we were staying. (We even saw the hives as we drove around the island's mountainous interior one day.) It was an experience I have tried to recreate at home, with limited success thus far. I did manage to find some Greek yogurt at Wild Oats--Fage is the brand--but I was disappointed. The container had a honey-filled compartment attached to it, which I don't need since I have lots of good honey stashed away--some W. Virginia honey from my dad, some farmer's market tupelo honey, and some rich, delicious liquid gold given to me by central Ohio beekeepers while I was writing a story on honey for The Dispatch. The Fage yogurt was quite sour, whereas the yogurt I had in Greece tasted more like a fresh, creamy glass of milk. I'll have to check a few other places, and I'll let you know if I'm able to find anything that resembles the real thing!

4 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

That sounds so good!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Lucky for me, I live in a neighborhood that's still pretty Greek (though also Korean and more and more Latino every day). Our local grocery store carries five varities of Greek yogurt. And the corner bakery has great baklava. But it's not the same as eating that stuff while staring off at the Med. Sea!

12:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home