Sunday, October 05, 2008

Extreme granola

So I've been wanting to make homemade granola forever, and the title of this recipe from Epicurious caught my eye right away. It was easy-peasy, and it was a great way to use up some of the leftover nuts and dried fruits we had lying around. (I used golden raisins instead of the dried blueberries.) I also used real maple syrup that I had bought from some Amish farmers in South Haven, and the smell of the toasting oats plus the maple syrup filled the kitchen. Someone needs to capture that aroma in a scented candle. This granola keeps for a whole month.

For some reason I was into making breakfast foods this weekend -- I also made these morning glory muffins. The recipe came from Columbus Dispatch Food Editor Robin Davis, whose Wednesday food section I'm already missing now that I'm in South Bend. I'm always looking for healthy muffin recipes, and this one uses whole wheat flour, plus shredded zucchini and apple. The recipe makes about a dozen and a half, so I popped some in the freezer for quick breakasts later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea you'd moved! I'm sure it's an exciting adventure for you ... best of luck.

As for granola, one of my favorites is Alton Brown's. Addictive.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND a baby??!! Wonderful news!!!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Hi, Jan! Yes, accepted a writing position at Notre Dame in August, and we're expecting a little girl in November.

Thanks for the tip on the Alton Brown recipe -- I'll have to check that out.

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home