Monday, August 04, 2008

Weekend cooking

This weekend my companion left for a four-day conference in New York. Thinking that he needed a proper sendoff, I decided to make some Saturday morning waffles. I used this Belgian buttermilk waffle recipe from Epicurious, substituting one cup of whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour to make them a little bit healthier. The recipe calls for topping the waffles with glazed bananas, but I had just picked up some blackberries at the North Market that I couldn't wait to use, so I looked for a way to incorporate them into the topping.

I ended up making the two-berry syrup from this Cooking Light recipe using blackberries, frozen Michigan blueberries (the last of last summer's crop) and maple syrup from Trader Joe's. They were fantastic, and took no time at all to whip up (no whipping egg whites
involved!).

I'm also including a photo of my (rather modest) market haul from Saturday. The cantaloupe I bought from Rhoad's was so ripe, it was cracking open! I couldn't wait to get it home and cut it up. I bought Swiss chard for the first time and a big bag of basil from Just this Farm. Time for homemade pesto! I'll be using Mark Bittman's recipe from How to Cook Everything: Vegetarian.

3 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

The waffles and eggplant pizza from the previous post look so yummy! But I don't like cantaloupe!

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. Thanks for the recipe. The husband has just acquired a rather robust, 40-pound Belgian waffle maker that's just aching for a trial run.

As an aside, have you ever investigated/tried/written about green smoothies?

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photography is just fabulous!
Makes everything look as scrumptious as it is!
riri

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home