Sunday, March 16, 2008

Finally, I'm back!

It's been a long time since I've logged on here, but I have a very good excuse -- I've been writing up a storm. Usually January and February are nice, quiet months for me, but this year I found myself inundated with freelance work. Life got a little frantic there for a while, and I even had to scale back on cooking, which I hardly ever do. But now that the frenetic output of articles is behind me, I've been able to sit back and enjoy the finished products that have been steadily making their way to the mailbox. For me, one of the most magical parts of being a writer is savoring the fine work of the editors and designers who work so hard to make articles read smoothly and look fabulous on the page. I particularly appreciate the work of the editors at U.S. Catholic, which is one of my favorite magazines to write for. I was so sad when my colleague and friend Heidi left U.S. Catholic to teach journalism at a nearby university, but I'm also happy that she's got such an exciting new professional opportunity ahead of her.

Here's where you can find some of my recent work:

The sipping news, Columbus Monthly (March)
Wine shops are welcoming novice consumers eager to hang out, taste different varieties and find their own favorites.

Guided tours: Four routes to the ultimate destination, U.S. Catholic (March)
A guide to some of Catholicism's richest spiritualities: Ignatian, Benedictine, Carmelite and Franciscan.

Green isn't just for Ordinary Time, U.S. Catholic (April)
A look at how parishes can lead the way to greener communities

Beautiful Women, The National Catholic Reporter (March 7)
A review of a Cincinnati exhibit honoring the 1,000 women peacemakers who were collectively nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Thanks for the mention! I'm loving academia, so far. And I'm hoping to keep up the freelance side of things, too.

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home