Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cake Decorating

Looking to try something new in 2008, I took a cake-decorating class at Sur la Table last weekend.

Obviously you can teach yourself a lot of things about baking by reading and kitchen trial and error. I thought, however, that I could benefit from some expert advice on this particular topic, and I’m glad I did. After spending two hours in the store’s well-equipped, sun-filled kitchen, I walked out not only with the ability to create all kinds of fun cake accoutrements (stars! leaves! hearts! scalloped borders! fun shapes!) but also with a fully decorated cake, shown here in all its glory. Yes, the design is a bit precious, but remember this was for a class — we all had to create the same design.

The class was taught by Dena Logan, a warm, knowledgeable and high-energy instructor who has cultivated a loyal local following. (She doles out baking advice in this month’s issue of Columbus Monthly.) I’d definitely take a class like this again, but not anytime soon because it’s pricey. One perk: On the day of your class you get a 15% discount coupon, which you can use for anything in the store.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that cake looks just luscious! I want some now.
riri

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home