Sunday, January 15, 2006

Food Inspired by Literature...


...well maybe not literature, exactly, but I do draw lots of culinary inspiration from what I read. Inspiration for Saturday night's dinner came from, of all places, Saturday's Wall Street Journal, which featured a very doable recipe for pizza margherita. Reading the WSJ reminded me of a homemade pizza dough recipe I've been wanting to try for a long time. (Given to me by a Wild Oats cooking instructor when I was writing a story about cooking classes for Columbus Monthly--the best journalistic assignment. Ever.) Thanks to a mini-food processor given to me long ago (which I never thought I'd use) we made the dough faster than you can say "Boboli," with a simple ingredient list that featured only flour, water, salt, yeast and olive oil. I'd definitely make my own dough again, even for a hurried weeknight dinner.

We tend to make a lot of homemade pizza around here, and I daresay we've perfected the Thai, barbecued chicken, spinach-and-fresh-tomato, and arugula (my companion's favorite) varieties, respectively.

My other weekend read, besides the book I'm reviewing, was the hysterical Julie and Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen. If it were warmer I'd classify it as a great beach read. The pace is breathless, the wit is sharp, it's not War and Peace, but d&*^%, that was a fun read. At some points I laughed so hard I was crying. It's so great to read something smart and fun written by someone from your own generation.

1 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

I'm trying the chickpea soup again tonight, this time made with dried beans soaked overnight instead of the canned variety. I'll keep you posted on the tweaked recipe...mmm...soup! This has nothing whatsoever to do with your most recent post, but it's what's on my mind!

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home