Wednesday, January 11, 2006

James Frey's Fiction Addiction

Coincidentally, my book club is scheduled to discuss James Frey's memoir A Million Little Pieces this evening. Due to these recent findings, first published by The Smoking Gun and yesterday picked up by major media outlets, I'm sure we will have a most interesting discussion. Adding to the local intrigue is that one of the incidents in question took place in the idyllic little town of Granville, less than an hour from Columbus. (My companion and I went apple picking last fall in Granville--that's the kind of place it is.)

In other book-related news, my first book, Getting a Life, has been translated into Chinese! I received two copies in the mail over the weekend, and I hope to post the cover on my web site by the end of this week. I'm sad to say I cannot read a word of it, but it does look cool on the coffee table.

Also on the nightstand these days: Barbara Kingsolver's Small Wonder (written in the aftermath of Sept. 11 with those events as a focus, but she does offer some incisive comments on the whole science/religion debate.) Ms. Kingsolver is a biologist by training. I'm also reviewing a new spiritual memoir that will be published in March. I'll save my specific comments for the review, (to appear on Busted Halo) but suffice to say that it's one of the most delightful, intelligent things I've read in a long time.

2 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

Chinese! You're so worldly! Renny, I LOVED "Small Wonder" -- I have it in my bookshelf, not to be gotten rid of. Did you read "Prodigal Summer" by Kingsolver? I liked that, too.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Hilarious, Reesa! Jennifer Weiner's blog was pretty funny too--she said the next thing we know, we'll find out that Dave Eggers' parents are alive and well!

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home