Sunday, February 04, 2007

Must. Stay. Warm.

It's six degrees outside right now, and when it gets this cold I like to warm up from the inside out--with soups and hot chocolate, that is. This month's Cook's Illustrated features two great soup recipes: Thai Chicken and White Chicken Chili. I highly recommend both. (Even if you're not a CI subscriber you can sign up for a 14-day trial online membership and download recipes like crazy.) I especially like the Thai soup, because you can add a variety of toppings to tailor the flavor to your liking: lime wedges, serrano chiles, cilantro and scallions. I made the white chili for my friend (and former roommate) Beth who just had a baby. I'm looking forward to delivering it tomorrow after work.

If you live in Columbus and you seek real, homemade hot chocolate, look no further than Pistachio Bakery in the Short North. Their version is uber-chocolatey and has a bit of a kick, thanks to what I think are pinches of cinnamon and cayenne. The best part, however, is the homemade marshmallow--a square disk of pure white sugary goodness served on the side. We sampled the hot chocolate this weekend at Gallery Hop, and I'll certainly be back for more. (And check out their adorable Valentine's Day linzer cookies here.) Columbusites, a heads-up: Pistachio is moving to German Village this summer. They've purchased the property at 541 S. Third St., an address that has been home to bakers for over 75 years. If you're a longtime townie here you might have known the building as Thurn's or Reiner's.

3 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

I'd love to get some hot chocolate this weekend and take a mini culinary tour...only I really hope it's a bit warmer!!!

3:13 PM  
Blogger Walker Evans said...

Yeah, Pistachio is awesome! I love that place! ;)

...
Walker
www.ColumbusUnderground.com

10:25 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Mud, you're getting the culinary tour whether or not it's warm, heh heh. Can't wait to see ya!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home