Monday, January 22, 2007

Eating @ Work

I started a new job not too long ago (yay--it's great!), which means I'm back to packing lunches every day. Eating at work poses a special challenge to the health-conscious, like myself. It's so tempting to jet across the street to Starbucks for a cranberry bliss bar, or to warm up with some lunchtime pad thai. But with a little planning ahead, it's pretty easy to put together a lunch that's not only healthy, but that you'll actually look forward to treating yourself with at lunchtime. Here are a couple of my lunchtime tools that make packing almost fun:
  • A thermal canister from Sahalie--the perfect size for an extra-large mug of hot green tea, a steaming "bowl" of chili, or my dad's homemade, Fox and Obel-inspired mac n' cheese. (Get it now--it's on sale! The thermos, I mean, not my dad's macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately that's all gone as of this afternoon. Thanks, Pops.)
  • A lunchtime tote from Built NY. (Mine is red, and I found it at TJMaxx.) I love it because it not only insulates food, but also streeeettches to accommodate lots of treats. (Very important if you eat a lot like I do.)
  • My copy of The Skinny: How to Fit into Your Little Black Dress Forever. It's co-authored by Melissa Clark, one of my favorite New York Times food writers, and it's got GREAT, healthy recipes for brown-bagging. It's not a diet book, but rather a "how to eat healthy and realistically for life" kind of book.

Anyone else have any go-to lunchtime faves they want to share?

3 Comments:

Blogger MUDNYC said...

Don't forget about Vegan Lunchbox: http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/ The owner of the blog wrote a book about many different vegan lunches for kids -- it seems like she made a different one for her son every day of school. There are also tips for portable picnic lunches. Although I haven't read the book, I just read the blog.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Wait: you got a job? Which one? Congratulations! I don't think I ever did a recommendation. Maybe you were so great you didn't need one?

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love taking my leftovers from the previous night's dindin. Nothing like homemade pizza, hummus or chicken casseroles.
I also keep bags of instant oatmeal in my desk drawer in case I get a late afternoon snack craving.....fills me up.
riri

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home